How To Learn English Grammar Easily
To learn English Grammar easily it is very important to create a mindset and in addition a teacher who can communicate the basics of grammar in a very easy way. Why learning grammar is so vital? For effective communication of one’s feelings, thoughts, and ideas and transmission of knowledge language is an indispensable instrument.
When you are preparing to learn grammar you are simply putting yourself in a process where you learn the rules of a language which people follow when they use a certain language. Different people hold different perceptions of grammar.
Some study grammar to learn the rules, others learn the rules to do a lot of grammar exercises. Again others may learn grammar so that their knowledge of grammar can be applied while they speak to others.
There are many who say that learning grammar is not a criterion to speak English well. Yes, we don’t think of grammar and speak English while communicating but unconsciously we use the basics of grammar and any wrong use of grammar makes use of your language sounds odd.
This means the words or phrases you use while communicating with others are not perfect and you do not use actually the words which would have made your communication rock solid. In other words, there is lack of effective communication. To know how to improve your communication skills, click on the link http://skillenglish.com/tips-on-how-to-improve-your-communication-skill/
You will agree with me that in every sentence we read or write, speak or hear, there is an element of grammar. In every set of game there has to be rules and to develop a sound and strong base of any language, there has to be strong understanding of the basics of grammar.
So let us look at some of the stages we should put stress on so that we develop a strong base of English grammar
At a Glance–
- Understand the Parts of Speech better.
- Get to know the helping verbs
- Go through the Tenses
- Know how to use the articles
Understand the Parts of Speech better.
The first step to learning grammar is to understand the parts of speech. So what are the eight parts of speech? They are –
- Noun– A noun is a name of a person, place or thing. There are two forms of nouns. One is singular and the other plural. To know more about both the forms of nouns you can click on the link http://skillenglish.com/singular-and-plural-noun/
- Pronoun– A word used in place of a noun. There are different types of pronouns like Personal pronoun, Possessive pronouns, Demonstrative pronouns, To know more about the types of pronouns click on the link http://skillenglish.com/what-is-pronoun/
- Verbs- A verb is a word that tells about an action, or state of being. To know more about the use of verbs, click on the link http://skillenglish.com/how-to-use-verbs-in-sentences-correctly/
- Adjective– An adjective is a describing word. There are different kinds of Adjectives, like Adjective of quality, Adjective of quantity, etc. To know about each type of adjective, click on the link http://skillenglish.com/what-is-an-adjective/
- Adverb– An adverb is a word which modifies the meaning of a verb an adjective or another adverb. There are different kinds of Adverbs. To know more click on the link http://skillenglish.com/what-you-should-know-about-adverb/
- Preposition– A preposition is a word which is put before a noun or a pronoun to show the relationship of that word to other words in a sentence. To know more about the types of prepositions click on the link http://skillenglish.com/kinds-of-preposition/
- Conjunction– A conjunction is a word which joins two parts of a sentence or two clauses which linking words like and, but, or , etc. You can try out the following exercise on conjunction by visiting the link http://skillenglish.com/what-conjunctions-will-fill-in-the-blanks/
- Interjection– It is a word used in a sentence to express a sudden feeling of mind. Some common exclamations are alas, oh, ouch, hurrah, bravo. They are all followed by an exclamation mark (!)
Get to know the helping verbs
Helping verbs are those set of verbs which comes before the main verb in a sentence. It gives a further meaning to the verb and try to tell us exactly the time when something has happened. So let us look at the list of helping verbs in English grammar. So what are they?
- Do, does, did
- Has, have, had
- Am, is, are
- Was, were
- Could, should, would
- Be, being, been
- Ought to
- Must, might, may,
- Can, shall, will
We have to be very careful while using the helping verbs or auxiliary verbs as the meaning of the sentence may chance just as in the following sentence
- John must do his homework before his father returns ( here John is under obligation or under pressure)
- John might do his homework before his father returns. ( here there is only a possibility that John may do the homework not sure)
Again “to be “verbs can be helping as well as linking verbs as in the sentence below
- They are going to the party. (Here are is a helping verb and is completing the meaning of the main verb)
- I am happy. ( Here am is a linking word which joins the subject I and the adjective happy)
Go through the Tenses–
After you have gone through the verbs section and have understood what is a helping verb and a main verb, it is time to know the tenses. Basically tense can be classified into 3 basic categories like
- Present tense– here the verbs relate to the present time and so it is known as present tense.
- Past tense– The verbs relate to the past time and the verb in the past form is used
- Future tense. Here it tells about the future and so the verb used is about future like shall and will.
Present tense can be further classified as-
- Simple Present Tense– it tells about an habitual action, or some universal truth, or a situation which will not change.
- Present Continuous Tense– it tells about something going on at the present moment
- Present Perfect Tense– the action has finished but the effect remains. To know how to use present perfect correctly click on the link http://skillenglish.com/present-perfect-tense-how-to-use-it/
- Present Perfect Continuous Tense– It is used to express an action that began in the past and is still going on.
Past tense can be further classified as-
- Simple Past Tense– This tense is used to express a simple action of the past
- Past Continuous tense– It is used to express an action which was going on in the past time
- Past Perfect Tense– It is used to describe two actions in the past. One action finished and then another action started.
- Past Perfect Continuous Tense– It is used to describe an action which had been going on before another action in the past.
Future tense can be further classified as-
- Simple Future– It is used to express an action in the near future
- Future Continuous Tense– it is used to express an action that will be going on in the near future
- Future Perfect Tense—It is used to describe the completion of an action at some future time
- Future Perfect Continuous Tense– It is used to describe an action that will have been going on for some time in the future.
Know how to use the articles
Use of articles is also an important part of learning grammar. There are two set of articles. One is the definite article (the) and the other indefinite article (an, a). Remember to use the definite article when you are referring to a definite person, or thing. We use a before a word which begins with a consonant sound and use, an before a vowel with vowel sound.
- This is the boy who stood first in the class.
- Give me an orange
- This is a big problem
There are lots of things to learn in English grammar but the basic question is how to learn it very easily. There is no definite rule or a strategy, You have to decide on a strategy which best suits you and no doubt the teacher imparting you the basics of English grammar has to have a solid understanding of the basics and strong communication skills to communicate the best way the basics of grammar.
You can learn by following the rules and can learn only from mistakes. Just think how you learnt the rules of your mother tongue. You got into the language and listened regularly and also practiced. So simple process work hard and do the practice to learn English grammar easily.
Developing a solid foundation of English grammar will not only assist you in creating your own sentences properly but will also make it easier to enhance your communication skills in both form , spoken and written by using the right set of words. To know how to enhance your vocabulary power click on the link http://skillenglish.com/how-to-enhance-your-english-vocabulary-power/
Make yourself aware about the grammar. Get to know about Nouns, Pronouns, Verbs and all the eight parts of speech.
Once you understand the rules to make the rules rock solid, try to attempt the different exercises related to noun, preposition and many more.
Try to read a lot of books about English grammar and understand the various aspects of grammar. Also try to discuss with your teacher or friends who have a better understanding of the rules than you have.
Try to put your maximum effort on that part which you think you have the lot of problems or difficulty.
Try to share or discuss with your friends what you have learnt from different sources the different aspects of grammar and their rules. In that way you will remember more and become perfect in English grammar.
How you can benefit from Skillenglish
Try to visit my site regularly to read all the updates of English grammar in my blog post.
Tell your friends about the site and share it on your social networking site. Learn more and enjoy learning English grammar.
If you still have doubt or interested in English language classes conducted contact at the earliest. Classes are also conducted online and over a mobile phone for those who do not have an internet connection.