WAS AND WERE GRAMMAR RULES- DO YOU KNOW THEM
Was and were are the past form of the verb to be. These two words are used so frequently in our COMMUNICATION and so let us know how to use them correctly.
You have to use these was and were only in the past tense and not in any other tense.
There are different persons in grammar namely the first person, second person and the third person. Each of the person has their singular and plural forms.
We have to use was with–
- 1st person singular
- 3rd person singular
We have to use were with–
- 1st person plural.
- 2nd person singular and plural.
- 3rd person plural
USE OF WAS AND WERE IN SIMPLE PAST
- I was tired so I went to sleep.
- We were tired so we went to sleep.
- You were tired so you went to sleep. (2nd person is same in both singular and plural form)
- He was tired so he went to sleep.
- She was tired so she went to sleep.
- Tom was tired so he went to sleep
- They were tired so they went to sleep.
USE OF WAS AND WERE IN PAST CONTINUOUS FORM
- I was playing cricket yesterday
- We were playing cricket yesterday.
- You were playing cricket yesterday.
- He was playing cricket yesterday.
- She was playing cricket yesterday.
- Tom was playing cricket yesterday.
- They were playing cricket yesterday.
OVER TO YOU
Hope this post would clear any doubts you have in your mind as far as the use of was and were is concerned. Remember these are some basics usages and we should make ourselves perfect. Our English should not only be fluent but also correct. Strive for fluency along with accuracy to make the correct usage of was and were.